Garden

Friday, November 22, 2013

Pizza roll-ups


Pizza roll-ups. Why didn't I think of this before?? That's what my husband and I both said after eating one and that's what you will say when you try this. I made one the other day as a quick side to go with a soup for lunch (potato leek with lentils) and they are already a favourite. The quality of ingredients go a long way, a dry-cured salami and good cheese make this so much more than folded up Greco.
No offence Greco.
I imagine you could add more ingredients to this recipe, like mushrooms or peppers or any other favourite topping, but it would probably be harder to eat and you'd likely lose more ingredients out the back end of the roll. Messy. But hey it's pizza - feel free to play around and mess up!

Pizza Roll-ups

Ingredients:
Makes 2
2 whole wheat tortilla wraps
4 tbsp prepared tomato sauce
A few ounces of dry-cured salami
Grated cheese to taste

 We get our salami at Costco and it is head and shoulders above any sliced stuff I've tried. It reminds me of the French "saucisson", which I've never found here in SJ. The emmental pictured here is worth trying, but cheddar or mozzarella work too.

Directions:


Lay out two wraps and spread 2 tbsp of sauce on each. You don't want too much or else you roll will slip around and drip as you try to eat it.


Next, slice up the salami and cut into small chunks. Doesn't this stuff look good??
Sprinkle evenly on your sauced-up tortillas. This is where I could picture adding more ingredients...


Grate your cheese and spread it out evenly.


This next step is not pictured but I'm sure you can handle it. Place the tortillas on a cookie sheet and then slide under the broiler for just 1 or 2 minutes until the cheese is melted. Keep a close eye, that broiler is a hot sucker!


Then take them out and slide onto the counter for rolling. Roll them like... well like you would roll anything. Eat them while standing at the counter because they're just so good. Alternatively you can sit down and have them with another side dish such as salad or soup. Enjoy!


My husband loved this so much he tried coming up with exciting names like Pizza Bomb, but I thought that sounded too messy.


You can also slice the pizza roll-up into inch-thick rounds. We call this one Pizzushi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment