Garden

Friday, June 1, 2012

Crustless quiche in a skillet

I watched the movie Julie and Julia, and promptly asked for "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" by Julia Childs for Christmas.  Which I got :)  After drooling over the recipes made during the movie, I found the cookbook was full of really rich recipes which were mostly variations of each other relying primarily on quantities of butter, wine or cream.  While I do enjoy some of the key recipes, (crêpes, cream puffs, white sauce...) I am unlikely to cook from it in my day-to-day menu.  That said, the recipe for Quiche Lorraine was the basis for this one, with some adaptations.  Thanks Julia. 



I love quiche.  But I do not love making crusts and I do not love washing tons of bowls and pans.  This recipe uses one pan and one bowl, and no crust!  The flour whisked into the eggs and milk sinks to the bottom and forms a thin crust of sorts.  This is an easy breakfast or lunch for two with enough leftover for one to eat the next day. (You'll have to fight over it)  This recipe is versatile and can be adapted to whatever combination of vegetables, cheeses and herbs you can think of.  One note in the afore-mentioned cookbook was to count about 2 cups of solids (combination of veggies, cheese, meats) and 1 1/2 cups of liquid (milk and/or cream) with 4 eggs for a 9-inch pan (or skillet).  Use your creativity!  Or, just make this recipe.

Crustless quiche in a skillet

*Note: Choose a skillet that can be used in the oven

Ingredients:
Approx. 6 slices of bacon, sliced
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 cup grated zucchini
3 mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup grated cheddar
Salt and pepper
Handful fresh basil, chopped
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup cream
1/3 cup flour

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325°.

Julia suggests you may want to simmer your bacon in water for 5 minutes to get some of the salty-smokiness out. While normally I would relish the smoky-saltiness, my bacon was home-made by my brother (who is in school taking culinary arts) and was particularly smoky and salty.  

So, place bacon in a oven-proof skillet and cover with water.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. 


Drain water,


and return bacon pan and brown. 


While the bacon is browning, prepare your other ingredients, chop the tomato and mushrooms and grate the zucchini and cheese. 


Grab some nice fragrant basil and chop it up fine. 



I threw the mushrooms and zucchini in the with the bacon, just because I felt like it.


While the veggies are cooking up, break 4 eggs in a bowl and measure in whatever combination of milk and/or cream you choose to use (calories schmalories) 







Whisk together with a pinch of salt and pinch of pepper.












Then add the flour and whisk well.






Then pour over the veggies and bacon. 


Sprinkle cheese and basil on top.



 Pop in the oven for 30-40 minutes until no longer jiggly and slightly browned.


When he tasted it my husband exclaimed, "It's so fluffy!" 


With each bite, you never know what combination of flavours you're going to get - mushroom and basil? Bacon and tomato?  Cheese and something?  The combinations are endless. Well, no they are finite and I could calculate them but I choose not to.

Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment